Can I just say that one of my very favorite parts of Winter Soldier was Nick Fury cocking an eyebrow at the police officers side-eyeing his expensive vehicle and sneering, “You wanna see my lease?”
Because the idea of Nick Motherfucking Fury having to deal with shit as disgusting and petty as racial profiling is sort of painfully realistic and heartbreaking. He’s hugely, massively powerful, and he’s sitting in his bulletproof car pondering decisions of worldwide import, but also he gets pulled over sometimes and asked for his registration because the police assume he stole it.
Ack. I was just so pleased that they included that line.
yeah the import of that really struck me the second time I watched the movie.
Have any of you heard
of subculture practised in
It’s a heavy metal subculture
that some describe as
(I found out about them because of this cracked article)
This shit is awesome.
You need a frying pan, a whisk, a tray with baking (greaseproof) paper cut to fit it, and a spoon or spatula or other stirring implement.
- sugar - enough to cover your pan - about a cup and a half, maybe?
- baking powder (not baking soda) - one teaspoon
- golden syrup - two or three tablespoons (don’t substitute maple syrup: it will stop the honeycomb hardening into brittleness like you want, instead making it sort of biscuity). I guess you could try treacle (molasses) if you prefer the taste.
- Optional: rock salt, melted chocolate.
- Mix the sugar and syrup (with salt if you want a salty honeycomb) together in the cold pan. Heat on medium-high until it’s formed a golden caramel or syrup. Remember to stir so the edges don’t burn (unless you want the slightly burnt taste; I personally like it)
- Add the baking powder. Whisk. It should form a foam.
- Quickly pour the foam onto the lined pan. Wait until the foam hardens into honeycomb (about 20 minutes).
- Drizzle on your melted chocolate if you’re using it (I find the best technique is to dip a fork and then flick it back and forth). Smash it with anything, really, though a rolling pin might crush your delicious bubbles; I use the handle of the spoon I stirred it with.
This is fantastic because: you don’t need a fancy sugar thermometer to make it, it’s delicious, it’s suitable for almost every diet (excluding paleo, raw, ketogenic, and the like), and the self-esteem boost that comes from looking at candy thinking “I made that! Homemade candy!” is great (for me at least).
Use it: as a small and easy gift to bring to a party, as something cheap to eat for sugar cravings (though be warned, if you eat 8 large shards in one sitting the bubbles will make your tongue will feel really weird), or crumbled over any other dessert (literally anything: cheesecake, fruit salad, ice cream, whatever).
I have come home with a pound and a half of sour gummy worms. This is enough gummy worms to surely make my tongue feel like I’d been licking sand paper and to render me nauseous to the point of vomiting… IF I EAT THEM ALL.
My only task it to now attempt to not eat them all in one evening.
And so my watch begins…